For some time now, our family has been enjoying these Healthy Chocolate Milkshakes from A Couple Cooks. Everyone I’ve made these for is surprised when they find out these milkshakes are dairy-free and refined sugar-free. They are so creamy, chocolate-y, and delicious. I recently tried making these milkshakes with raw cacao powder instead of cocoa powder and it has the same delicious taste with an added boost of nutrients. Raw cacao powder has transformed our dessert life. Because cacao powder is cold-pressed and kept at low temperatures, it is extremely high in antioxidants and has a variety of health benefits. Although cocoa powder is derived from the same cacao nibs as cacao powder, many of the antioxidants are destroyed during the production process when the cocoa is roasted at high heat. I do not claim to be any type of nutritional expert, but I have also read that dairy interferes with the absorption of nutrients from cacao. The coconut milk in these milkshakes allows for the full health benefits of the cacao powder. Besides being healthy though, these chocolate milkshakes just taste so so good. We love them and I hope you do too!
- 1 can light coconut milk (not boxed coconut milk)
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- 5-7 medjool dates, pitted
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- toasted coconut and dark chocolate chunks, for garnish
- Shake the can of coconut milk well before opening it. Reserve half a cup of coconut milk in a separate glass and refrigerate. Pour the remaining coconut milk into an ice cube tray and freeze.
- Using a high-speed blender, blend together the frozen coconut milk cubes, cacao powder, medjool dates, vanilla, and reserved coconut milk until creamy and smooth.
- Garnish with toasted coconut and chocolate chunks and serve immediately.