When I think of favorite childhood desserts, my mom’s chocolate pudding crepes immediately come to mind. Vanilla crepes filled with the silkiest chocolate pudding under a cloud of whipped cream- messy for sure, but truly scrumptious. She bought me my first crepe pan, and even now we almost weekly make some sort of crepes. Because crepes so fondly remind me of my own mother, I made these savory buckwheat crepes to celebrate Mother’s Day and hopefully bring some breakfast inspiration to your home as well.
Buckwheat flour adds a touch of earthiness to the crepes, which goes nicely with the whipped ricotta and goat cheese. Whipping the ricotta leaves behind any graininess as it becomes softer, creamier, and lighter. Use the freshest ricotta that you can find and you won’t regret it. The goat cheese adds a savory twist, along with some arugula to keep things bright and crisp. The finishing swipe of strawberry preserves is what makes this one noteworthy though- it gives just the right amount of fruity sweetness to make all of the other components shine. Bonne Maman has been a pantry staple in my kitchen for years, and I love them for their simple and natural ingredients. Their preserves use whole fruits, unlike jams which use crushed fruit, so there’s pieces of fruit in every jar. I always keep a jar in my pantry for toast, overnight oats, ice cream, and obviously, crepes. Right now they’ve paired up with Le Creuset for a big giveaway, see below for details to enter.
Buckwheat Crepes with Whipped Ricotta Goat Cheese and Strawberry Preserves
- Prep Time: 45 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 mins
- Total Time: 2 hours
- Yield: 9 crepes
- 2/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/3 cup buckwheat flour
- pinch sea salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
Whipped Ricotta Goat Cheese
- 1 cup fresh whole milk ricotta
- 1/4 cup goat cheese
- Baby arugula
- Toasted sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon dijon mustard
- pinch salt and ground black pepper
Bonne Maman Strawberry Preserves, for serving
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flours and salt. Make a well in the center and crack the eggs into the well. Whisk the milk into the eggs while gradually incorporating the flour mixture. Add the butter and continue to whisk until mixture is smooth and well combined. Allow batter to rest for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat a crepe or small frying pan over medium heat. Melt 1/2 teaspoon butter and use a paper towel to lightly grease pan. Ladle about a 1/4-cup of batter into the center of the pan. Lift and swirl the pan quickly so that the batter evenly covers the bottom of the pan. Cook until edges begin to turn golden, about 1 minute. Use a spatula to gently lift and flip the crepe to the other side and cook for another 30 seconds. Repeat with the remaining batter.
Whipped Ricotta Goat Cheese
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment (or use strong arms and a whisk), whisk together the cheeses until light and creamy, starting on low speed and gradually increasing to medium-high, about 2-3 minutes.
- Whisk together oil, vinegar, dijon, salt, and pepper. Toss with arugula and sliced almonds.
- Fold crepes into quarters and serve with a generous dollop of whipped ricotta and goat cheese. Swirl a generous tablespoon of strawberry preserves on top of the ricotta and serve alongside a handful of tossed arugula.
This post is sponsored by Bonne Maman and Honest Cooking. All thoughts and opinions expressed are my own, and I truly love Bonne Maman preserves for their simple and natural ingredients. Thanks for supporting the brands that support Gather & Dine.