Spring soccer season has finally begun around here. I made a double batch of these Chocolate Chip Oat Crispie Bars for the boys to enjoy after their game. They played their hearts out and lost their game, but I like to think that these treats helped to cheer them up a little. They are loaded with whole grains and sweetened with coconut sugar and honey. I think substituting raisins for the chocolate chips would also be a tasty alternative.Print
Chocolate Chip Oat Crispie Bars
- Yield: makes 20-24 bars
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 1/4 cups brown rice crisps cereal
- 3/4 cups chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease a 9×13 baking pan or line with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt.
- With a stand mixer, cream together the butter and coconut sugar. Add the honey, egg, and vanilla and mix well.
- Add the flour mixture and mix on medium-low speed until just combined. Mix in the oats, and then the brown rice crisps. Do not overmix. Add the chocolate chips last.
- Press mixture into the greased baking pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes until top is golden brown. Allow to cool completely before cutting into squares.